Dental Crowns in Ramsey, NJ
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that are commonly placed over a damaged tooth. Their job is to restore the tooth’s shape, size, strength and appearance. When a crown is cemented into place, it fully encloses the visible portion of a tooth that’s above the gum line.
When could a crown be necessary?
- Protecting a tooth that’s weak or decayed from breaking
- Holding together parts of a cracked tooth
- Enclosing a dental implant
- Making a cosmetic modification
- Covering and supporting a tooth that has a large filing, but not a lot of viable tooth
- Securing a dental bridge
- Covering misshapen, severely discolored or otherwise unattractive teeth
- Restoring a tooth that has been broken, or severely worn down
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Crowns or caps are perfect for restoring your teeth when they have larger fractures, or if a filing doesn’t do its job. A crown will cover the entire tooth, compared to a filling, which is placed in the affected tooth. You can have a crown made from a variety of materials, from white porcelain to gold.
Crowns are necessary when you have decay that has caused a lot of damage. When there isn’t enough natural structure for the tooth to survive on its own, the crown will replace the decayed area and give protection to the remaining of the natural tooth.
Crowns are usually used to finish posterior teeth or root canal therapy, because after such therapies, the teeth are usually very weak and need the protection. To schedule an appointment and see whether you need dental crowns, feel free to contact AV Dental in Ramsey, NJ.